Saturday, October 1, 2011

Six months old and the Gastric Tube is OUT!

So in my last post I was saying that the G.I. Dr. wanted us to have Cannon keep his g tube through the winter in case he got sick and did not want to eat we could still give him his nourishment. So at that point we made an appt. with the surgeon to get a new g tube placed because the one he had was not very stable. It was able to move around quite a bit and you couldn’t tell if it was further in his tummy than it was supposed to be. So the next size tube he could get was more stable. It had something on the inside and the outside that would keep it more in place and this one would get us through the sick season then he could get it out all together! We arrived at the surgeons office and quite frankly he was really annoyed that Cannon even still had a tube! He said basically that Cannon was nearly 6 months old and had not used the tube since he was in the NICU and there was no reason that if this child is eating and taking all his meds orally that he should keep a tube. He also said we need to treat this child like a normal child and normal children don’t run around with tubes for the “just in case” moments and that if Cannon were to get very sick and wouldn’t eat he’d be admitted to the hospital and get a feeding tube until he’d eat again. Also this is much less invasive! So his plan was to call the G.I. Dr. and tell him that he thinks it should be out! The nurse practitioner from the G.I. clinic called Tuesday about mid morning after our appt. on Monday at the surgery clinic and left me a voicemail just saying to call her back. I tried calling back an hour later, and a day later, and two days later and still no call back. Thursday night after Cannon’s bath Trent and I noticed the tube was leaking around the skin. So we tried to keep it in until we could at least hear what the nurse practitioner at the G.I. clinic said before we had it taken out on Friday morning. Well, I had a long night of changing gauze and tape and clothes that had been soaked through rather quickly and as I was changing it Friday morning at 7am the tube just came out around the gauze and tape! However, the little mushroom cap that kept it stable on the inside did NOT come out on the end of the tube. This would be the cause of the leaking because the tube broke! No worries though because Cannon has passed the mushroom cap part of the tube and the hole where the tube was is healing very nicely. And no more leaking! So, on the day that Cannon turned SIX MONTHS OLD, he got his very last tube out! We couldn’t be happier for him! We have decided after all this time of changing a diaper and then tucking the end of a tube in the strap part of the diaper that it’s weird to not do it. Out of habit I keep trying to grab a tube and stick it in there. I guess one day I will forget all about that! I think even Cannon knows it is not there anymore and is so happy about it!
 We went shopping for Cannon some new winter clothes last weekend. We didn’t have any long sleeved stuff for him because once he was born so early I just wasn’t sure what size to buy. I’m glad I held off because I would have bought all of the wrong sizes! The few things I had bought recently I had to take back because I bought the wrong size! Fortunately I was able to find the exact same thing in the right size! We got him a lot of really cute stuff! I think I’m going to have to tell the G.I. Dr. they will have to see us more than once a month because he’s got some really cute outfits to wear and nowhere to wear them to since sick season is about to hit and he’s not supposed to be around people! Ha-ha!
This is the first picture I took of Cannon when I first arrived to meet him after I got out of the hospital.  He already had his g tube in his tummy.  I don't have a picture of him without his tube.  Since the tube came out it has had a bandage over the site.

Just one of the shirts we bought while shopping last weekend!
Love,
Christian, Trent, and Cannon

No comments:

Post a Comment